Smart girls all have their own unique personalities, which is part of why they are so great. After all, the best environments are diverse ones. The best way to create an environment that fosters diversity is to be confidently and unapologetically outwards about your own unique personality. And what better way to show off your personality to the world than through your style? Not only is cultivating your own personal style a good way to add to diversity, but it shows your personality to others instantly, and it helps makes you that much more memorable. Use these tips as a starting point, and get creative, Smart girls!
1) A Signature Makeup Look. Maybe it’s red lipstick (my personal signature look), winged eyeliner or sparkles, makeup is a relatively easy and consistent way to establish your own unique look.
2) Graphic Shirts. You can get a t-shirt that expresses almost any idea. Whether you’re wearing a shirt featuring your favorite band or book, a funny math joke OR your favorite cause (I have a shirt that says “Girl Just Want to Have Fun”), t-shirts are a great way to clearly display your interests and passions. Plus, they’re great conversation starters.
3) Buttons and Pins. Buttons and pins, much like t-shirts, are a great way to openly show your interests in a fun and decorative way. They also have an old school vibe that adds to their personality. You can display them on a bag, backpack, shirt or really anywhere you can think to put them.
4) Unique Phone Cases. Phone cases are something that are always there, that you use every day. You can get one with sparkles, your favorite quote, your favorite piece of art (my phone case has Klimpt’s “The Kiss” on it) your favorite place or your favorite movie. Anything you like, you can find on a phone case. For a good place to start, I’d suggest Etsy or, if you’re feeling particularly inspired, go to your local craft store and diy!
5) Thrift Store Clothes. Not only are thrift stores good for inexpensive clothing, they’re good for getting unique clothing as well. In an environment where almost everyone is wearing the same trendy clothes, the thrift store can be a great place to get a new-to-you piece that’s unlike anything else.
6) Unique Bags. Bags are sometimes not seen as being that important, but they’re a fantastic way to show off your personality. If you’re more serious, you might like a classic black bag. If you’re bubbly and excitable, maybe a bright, colorful bag would work well.
7) DIY Clothing. A sure way to get a piece of clothing as unique as you are is to make it yourself! Gather up your old clothes, get some craft supplies (scissors, glitter, studs, ribbon) and get crafty!
8) Expressive Jewelry. You can find (or make!) rings, necklaces and earrings with almost anything on them- cats, art, quotes. Two of my signature pieces are my necklace with a picture of Frida Kahlo and my ring with a picture of Aladdin and Jasmine. My sister, who’s really into math, has earrings with little pi signs. Once again, I’d suggest starting with Etsy or your local craft store. There are tons of tutorials online for how to make almost anything.
9) Hair Accessories. Hair accessories are a good signature because unlike other things, you can get away with wearing the same hair accessory every day. Try sparkly clips or a bright, fun headband.
10) Travel Mugs. This one might seem strange, but travel cups- both for cold and hot drinks- come in so many fun colors and patterns. You can even get one monogrammed. Travel cups are a fun and unexpected way to show off your Smart style, while also being practical and useful.
So there you have it, Smart girls: ten ways to create your own personal style. What are some ways you express your personality through your style? Sound off in the comments!